31 January 2017

Sitwells in Weedon Lois, Northamptonshire

Weston Hall near Weedon Lois was home to Sacheverell Sitwell between 1923 and his death in 1988. His sister Edith Sitwell was a frequent visitor. They are both buried in the parish church overspill in Weedon Lois. According to Wikipedia, Edith Sitwell's first published poem 'The Drowned Suns' was in the Daily Mirror in 1913: scarcely believable when compared to what has now become of a once quite decent working-class supporting newspaper which has completely lost its way.


'THE PAST AND PRESENT
ARE AS ONE –
ACCORDANT AND DISCORDANT.
YOUTH AND AGE,
AND DEATH AND BIRTH.
FOR OUT OF ONE CAME ALL –
FROM ALL COMES ONE.

EDITH SITWELL
BORN 7TH SEPTEMBER 1887
DIED 9TH DECEMBER 1964'

'SACHEVERELL
SITWELL
6th Baronet CH
Writer and Poet

Born 15 November 1897
Died 1 October 1988'

3 comments:

David Bingham said...

I have always had a soft spot for Edith even though I find her poetry virtually unreadable.

Dr Tony Shaw said...

There's a coincidence: I feel pretty much the same!

Roirat said...

I'll wager that my feelings will be similar once I get my hands on some of Dame Edith's work.